Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Personal traits: REFLECTION


Morally upright with virtues, technically open-minded to technological complication, we should be able to reach beyond what we expect to obtain. As a technopreneur there are several factors that should be consider on how somebody like me will be individually equipped by the matter around technopreneurship. Without much further do, there is what we called “Personality Traits” to be talk about. How an individual characteristic does may affect the relationship to neither other nor others might be affected on what personal characteristics we have? How this thing does is being connected to technopreneurship?


Yes! We have to define it first. The dictionary defines “personality” as:
1. Habitual patterns and qualities of behavior of any individual as expressed by physical and mental activities and attitudes; distinctive individual qualities of a person, considered collectively.
2. The complex of qualities and characteristics seen as being distinctive to a group, nation, place, etc.
3. The sum of such qualities seen as being capable of making, or likely to make, a favorable impression on other people.
4. Informal personal attractiveness; engaging manner or qualities.


Thus, personality is the totality of somebody’s attitude, interest, emotional responses, behavioral patterns, social roles and other individual traits that endure over long periods of time.


Traits are defined as "a distinguishing or determining quality or characteristic, as of personality." In other words, this means that personality traits are the distinguishing characteristics that make you "you." Every person has a unique identity. In which we can be able to determine the difference of each person. There are some reasons on how do a certain traits influenced and engaged someone. It maybe either by the type of family he/she came from or maybe the kind of environment he/she lived. Personality traits are the unique set of characteristics and qualities that only you possess.
According to some resources, although each person has hundreds, if not thousands, of different habit and traits that make up their personality, psychologists have tried to provide a bit of guidance for people to define personality traits and to determine the most important traits. As a result, they have come up with a list of the five major personality traits. These five traits make up the essence of a person's personality: Openness, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness, and Neuroticism (OCEAN, or CANOE if rearranged).


The following 5 dimensions of personality mean something that could help us in determining our one self characteristic. How being yourself as “you”.
1. Openness: Openness refers to how open you are to experiencing new things. Do you enjoy learning new ideas and concepts or are you frightened of change?
2. Conscientiousness: Conscientiousness refers to how dedicated you are. When you say you are going to do something do you follow through? Do you have a strong work ethic?
3. Extraversion: Extraversion asks how comfortable you are in the company of others. Do you prefer to be by yourself or in a crowd? Do you like to be the life of the party?
4. Agreeableness: Do you try to get along with people or do you go out of your way to be contentious and start a fight?
5. Neuroticism: How emotionally stable are you? Do you get upset over the little things, or do they roll off your back?

In order to determine our personality, using these five major personality traits, psychologists give us a test that asks a series of questions. The questions may inquire about how we would react in a certain situation, or our comfort level in a given setting. Each personality domain has questions to be answer, most probably it answers by “Strongly Disagree, Disagree, Neither Agree nor Disagree, Agree, and Strongly Agree” to the certain point of issue.
As our requirement in our subject Technopreneurship, we are going to determine our personal traits by taking those questions and so we can distinguished how we response in a certain situation or scenario. By doing so, particular site was my tool in personal traits test. More or less it has 60 questions. Honestly speaks, it needs extra time to answer those questions. However, we don’t need to think further because it doesn’t require logical thinking. Learnmyself.com is the site where I took my personal traits test.
These are my percentage results: Openness (24%), Conscientiousness (99%), Extraversion (35%), Agreeableness (58%), and Neuroticism (8%).


I only got twenty-four percent (24%) in openness. Openness is a general emotion, adventure, unusual ideas, imagination, curiosity, and variety of experience. Maybe I’m a kind of person who tend to be conventional or usual and traditional rather that being complex and ambiguous. I preferred the things which I normally know than tried another thing that may get me wrong in the end or might closed to regret. Just like in ordering in fast food chain, I used to ask for the food which I really like and crave for rather that ordering those loads of foods which are not familiar to my taste. Because I am thinking that it might not fit to my taste buds then suddenly realized that my money where just wasted. Openness to experience is what really needs in the world of technopreneurship. Of course it is essential because an open-minded person is a provider of ideas. In technopreneurship there are times that we may think for the best solution to a certain problem.


In the second dimension of personal traits which is conscientiousness, I got the high percentage of ninety-nine (99%). Conscientiousness is a tendency to show self-discipline and aim for achievement. The trait shows a preference for planned rather than spontaneous behavior. It influences the way in which we control, regulate, and direct our impulses. I am glad that I almost had a perfect percentage. Conscientiousness speaks self-discipline and setting an own goal. There is definite time which I found my self planning for what I desire. A good person is good planner. He/she tend to reflect for the future. In connection to technopreneurship, technopreneur must be “off-the-book”. He/she must be prodigy to the things that may affect in terms of technopreneurship. As a student in this subject, we must apply the plan that we made and work for it. That’s why in our System Analyst Design we are assigned to create a chart (PERT and Gantt) which these will represent our plan activities to follow sooner us we go on with our activities. Most Filipinos (like me) engages some habits like “maƱana habit” they are not time conscious. They think that there is lot of time to perform their work. Usually in the class, students tend to be late because of sleeping late and waking up too much late. If they are given a chance to take the personal traits I am pretty sure that he/she gets low percentage in conscientiousness dimension.


In extraversion results got thirty-five percent (35%). This aspect articulate is by positive emotions, urgency, and the tendency to seek out stimulation and the company of others. I also got minimal percentage here. Honestly speaks, I am not willing to socialize or even meet other person. Often times I am hardly approach to some unfamiliar person. I am not open to them. In short, I am a shy type person. Ever since when I was a child, in school I seldom participate in class. But I can assure you that I am willing to listen to my teacher. In other words, I am a good listener. The trait is marked by pronounced engagement with the external world. Extraverts enjoy being with people, and are often perceived as full of energy. In the personal traits test there are some questions being ask if I love to have big parties. Of course as I mentioned, I am not fanatic to that. I hate crowds. I hate being exposed in public. You may think that I am a loner. Don’t you? But I am not. I have also lots of friends to count they are truly reliable and truthful to me. I rather have few good friends than hundreds of useless friends to keep. Maybe I don’t give enough trust to people whom I met not longer him/her. In the field of technopreneurship, people engage with this will to face his/her consumer in part take to his/her business. Of course he/she is a risk taker. In the world of business it is possible and normally obtains difficulties in ventures. Technopreneur should ready to face problems not just the person being involved.


Forth dimension is agreeableness with fifty-eight percent (58%). Agreeableness is an element of personal traits which is concerned and cooperative. Person with lower percentage in agreeableness is untrustworthy and antagonistic towards others. He/she don’t even care the feeling towards the other. Maybe I am a kind of person who is sometimes willing to touch other life. But sometime don’t even care the sympathy of people around me. That why I am half in a way to be agreeable individual. The trait reflects individual differences in general concern for social harmony. There are times I am friendly and love spending moments with them. People with maximum percent in agreeableness are generally considerate, friendly, generous, helpful, and willing to compromise their interests with others. Agreeable people also have an optimistic view of human nature. They believe people are basically honest, decent, and trustworthy. Optimistic is those who think in positive. Maybe that’s the point of believing people around is in a good heart, not to criticize other people. As a technopreneur, he/she must be approachable not only to the customer he/she benefits with, but also to his disciple in business which is the employee. He/she must have a good relationship to them, not bossy all the time and enthusiast in serving and guiding worker. In terms of wage, employee should have proper given salary at the proper time.


And lastly which is Neuroticism. I obtain eight percent (8%) in my personal traits results. For me it’s not all the time that I don’t feel worried and unease. It may depend upon the situation. Maybe I have a strong faith that makes me feel relaxed and peaceful. Freedom from negative feelings does not mean that low scorers experience a lot of positive feelings. It’s true that our anxiety can make our emotionally unstable, we may feel emotionally stressed tend to worry just because of the fear we have inside. People who have a high result in neuroticism are more likely to struggle with depression and sadness. Negative emotional reactions tend to continue for unusually long periods of time, which means they are often in a bad mood. Pertaining to technopreneurship, the person embrace in this field should be more in patience. He/she must not over overlap his/her emotional feelings.


Stated below is the following personal traits results profile in which it described my behaviors, characteristics and attitudes.
“You rarely get angry and it takes a lot to make you angry, however you often resist any cravings or urges that you have, but sometimes you give in. You tend to feel overwhelmed by, and therefore actively avoid, large crowds. You often need privacy and time for yourself. You tend not to express your emotions openly and are sometimes not even aware of your own feelings. You see no need for pretense or manipulation when dealing with others and are therefore candid, frank and sincere. People find it relatively easy to relate to you, however you do not enjoy confrontation, but you will stand up for yourself or push your point if you feel it is important. You are well-organized and like to live according to routines and schedules. Often you will keep lists and make plans.” [1]


From the first sentence narrow it above, it said that I am seldom or not frequently get angry. Yes! It is true. I am not that kind of short-temper person. There are times that when somebody or someone who teases me, I usually beat him/her teasing too. I’m not an expressive person. Often time, I typically pretend my negative feelings and emotions. I hate confrontation. I am not seeking to be frank to somebody else. Maybe I am more concern not to hurt the feelings of other person.


Personality traits test alleviate to distinguish the persons behavior and deeds. In the field of technopreneurship it is essential to know the ones weakness so that he/she must be able to recognize to the extent of changing these characteristics and attitudes for ones self improvement.


REFERENCE:

http://www.learnmyself.com/personality.asp?p=Quick_Test&pg=2&u=sPIx2x474619-425148x80c83x2 QUOTATION [1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Five_personality_traits
http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/reference/define-personality-traits.html

No comments:

Post a Comment